You’ll remember that Castleblagh road was constructed to cater for the expansion of trade between Ballyhooly and Cork. Its use for this purpose, however, was short-lived:
`… as the trade in Cork city grew (due to its role as an Atlantic city of the British Empire), some routes became unsuitable.
These were principally hill routes where the large, horse-drawn loads experiences difficulties.
These problems would very likely have been felt on the steeply rising Castleblagh road. The only solution, therefore, was to build another road through the Valley of the Stream, which forms the boundary between Gortroche and Castleblagh townlands.
This road would have been of little benefit to the local landowners. However, it would have been of major advantage to the Co. Limerick dairy farmrs who used that route to bring their butter and other produce to the Cork market, but who did not pay Cork County Council. In order to overcome this predicament, it was decided to make the new line a toll road, and the ivy-covered ruin of the toll house is still to be seen on the roadside about 400 yards from the Castle Tavern.
This road is still known as the New Line and was completed before 1834.”
– Connolly, Baker, O’Farrell and Tobin, ‘Walking in Fermoy, the Galtees and Surroundings’ (Fermoy, 1999), p. 31