The houses along this street were built about 1820 and are typical of the homes provided by the Duke of Devonshire for his tenants.

Walking back towards the Monument, the Red House and Heritage Centre dominate the right hand side of the street.

The brightly painted red houses are typical of many buildings in the town, sporting embellished gables, mullioned windows and dormers in an attempt to give them an old-English appearance.