This 19th-century church was designed in the Gothic style by James Pain, an English architect whose name is attached to a number of notable buildings across Ireland. It was completed in 1825.

A plaque attached to the south wall may be misleading – this Latin-inscribed plaque is dated 1585. It is believed that it was taken from Bridgetown Abbey and attached to St Mary’s post-completion.